We are part of something bigger than ourselves
From NewSpring at Home: A Study on Colossians
“And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.” - Colossians 1:18-29
Christ is the head of the church, and each of us is part of the church body. We each have a role to play to keep the body going. What good is just an ear or just a finger? It’s every part working together that makes a body whole.
Paul is reminding us that our lives are not our own. We belong to Christ, and we are part of something bigger than ourselves. When we submit ourselves to Jesus, and then to each other, we experience the amazing plans God has for us.
- Is Jesus the head of your life? Consider the following:
- How often do you make decisions with Him in mind?
- Do you carry on your relationships considering what He will think?
- Does the way you work through problems show that He is in control?
- Is there any part of your life you don’t let Jesus or others into? Why or why not?
- What’s one step you can take today to submit that area to Jesus?
Jesus, help me relinquish control of my life to you. You are everything God is in human form, and I can trust you. Thank you for making a way for me to be part of the body. Show me where I’m missing out on the blessing of being under your authority and a part of the church.