Pray for the kingdom
From Teach Us To Pray: A 21-Day Prayer Guide
The kingdom of God is everywhere. Psalm 103:19 says, “The Lord has established his throne in the heavens, and his kingdom rules over all.”
In a more personal way, we buy into His kingdom by accepting Jesus’ payment for our sins. As we receive the Gospel personally and let it change us from the inside out, the Holy Spirit works through us to bring glimpses of heaven’s perfection to Earth. Like the disciples who healed the sick and proclaimed the Gospel, we get to be part of bringing the promises of heaven to Earth (Matthew 4:23, Matthew 28:16-20).
Living in light of the kingdom — Jesus’ forever rule over creation — gives us an eternal hope. It allows us to stop being satisfied with what we see and start believing what can be.
- What’s one place where you see glimpses of God’s kingdom on earth?
- When you think about the future Jesus promises, what affections does it stir in you?
- Where do you see God righting the wrongs of a fallen world? Have you been the beneficiary of a miracle or seen Jesus change someone’s life?
- Is there any area of your life where you’ve been settling for less than Jesus has for you?
- Are you content to go your own way rather than trust in His kingdom to come?
- Where do you need to start trusting God’s plan over your own? Where have you sought your own agenda instead of having a kingdom mentality?
- Where do long to see more of heaven on Earth? Ask the Lord to bring His kingdom in your city, state, nation, and the world.
- Where do you see brokenness in your family or community? Ask God to bring healing, intervention, and lasting change. Ask Him where you can partner with Him in bringing that change.
- Pause and allow the Lord to speak to you about your role in bringing good to the world around you. Try sitting with your hands open, signaling your willingness to say, “Here I am Lord, send me” (Isaiah 6:8).