Expect God to do far more than we could ever imagine
From Prayers for the Next Generation: A 14-Day Prayer Guide
“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”
- Ephesians 3:20-21 (NIV)
Our ceiling is the next generation’s floor. God wants to do far more than we could ask or imagine through our kids, students, and young adults. So let’s pray that way! Let’s pray for more healing, more freedom, and more connection than what we’ve experienced.
What to Pray
- Think about all you’ve seen God do in the church in your generation. Consider the following, and thank God for how you’ve seen him at work within you and around you.
- Where have you seen salvation?
- Where have you seen friends and family experience freedom or step into their purpose?
- What is true of your generation that wasn’t true of the one before you?
- Think about how powerful God is and allow yourself to sit in awe of Him for a moment. Tell God all the things that come to mind as you reflect on His power and strength.
- What do you want to see more of in the next generation? Ask God to do those things. If you’re not sure where to start, borrow some of Paul’s prayers for the churches he started:
- Ask God to give you a picture of specific ways He wants to do more in the next generation.
- If God gives you a word or picture, write it down.
- Respond in whatever way feels natural to you — whether it’s praising God with a worship song, sitting in quiet reflection, or declaring with confidence, “Yes and amen!”