Pray for radical obedience at home and at work
From Prayers for the Next Generation: A 14-Day Prayer Guide
“While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. And he said to them, ‘Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.’ Immediately they left their nets and followed him. And going on from there he saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets, and he called them. Immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.” - Matthew 4:18-22 (ESV)
After 20 years of ministry, an entire generation has grown up hearing about Jesus. Young adults, who were held in Wonder Way and grew up in KidSpring and Fuse, are now asking, “What do I want to be?”
As a church, we can pray that they will heed Jesus’ call to become fishers of men. God didn’t meet these young adults in KidSpring so they would be familiar with classic Bible stories and learn some catchy tunes. He is raising up ministers of the Gospel who love Jesus and are eager to share His message in all kinds of creative ways.
What to Pray
- Think about God’s wisdom and His knowledge of the future. Praise Him for knowing the hearts of our young people better than they know themselves.
- Thank God for a church that teaches kids to love Jesus on their level. Thank Him for allowing us to see the Gospel pass from one generation to the next.
- As parents, we sometimes encourage our kids to pursue careers that seem more lucrative or stable rather than the career God is calling them to.
- Ask God to give students the courage to seek His will for their life, no matter how risky it looks to us.
- Pray for parents to respond selflessly and to encourage their kids to follow God’s prompting when choosing a career.
- Today’s young adults have more education and more options than the generations who came before them. Pray that those entering college and the workforce would find their identity in being sons and daughters of God and make decisions that reflect that reality.
- Pray that they would hunger for a life of significance rather than accumulation, distraction, self-indulgence, or fame.
- Pray that as they come in contact with new ideas, their belief in God’s Word would be strengthened.
- Ask God to help young adults see themselves as fishers of men in whatever career they find themselves in. And for those who do hear a call to full-time ministry, pray that they will recognize it and have the courage to respond.